Sharing your time and talents as a volunteer at YESS can make a huge impact in the lives of the children we serve. A variety of meaningful volunteer opportunities are available for individuals as well as groups.
- Spend 1-2 hours playing games or sharing any special talents with the youth at YESS
- Coordinate an activity such as games, an art project or teach a new skill
- Times vary – lunch hour, after-school, evenings, weekends (based on volunteer’s availability)
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Play games and activities during evening gym time
- Must be at least 18 years of age*
Special Project Volunteer
- Sponsor activities or celebrations, ranging from a game night to holiday parties and craft activities
- Held after school or in the evening, lasting from 1-2 hours
- Help maintain the overall appearance of the shelter by performing light yard work/landscaping, general cleaning, and more
- Prepare and serve a meal for the kids at YESS in our on-site kitchen
- Great for groups (Note: All group members must be at least 18 years of age*)
YESS Duck Derby Volunteer
- Organize a sales team, volunteer at pre-event promotional activities, or volunteer the day of the event
- Dress up as “Quacky” the duck mascot during Duck Derby promotional events in March and April
- Learn more at www.yessduckderby.org
Become a Volunteer
Interested in volunteering? Contact us or call Jana Daisy, Community Activities Manager, at 515-282-9377 for more information.
Individuals interested in ongoing volunteer service at YESS must be approved by the agency prior to participation. The application process to become an on-going volunteer may take several weeks and includes the following steps:
- Volunteer application (includes background check)
- Interview and reference checks
- Volunteer training/orientation
- Students wishing to volunteer for Service Learning credit through a college course for the spring semester must contact YESS and apply by February 21, 2020 in order to be considered.
* While YESS acknowledges the benefits of peer-to-peer mentorship, we cannot allow volunteers under age 18 into the shelter due to licensing and confidentiality standards. Thank you in advance for your understanding.
If you are interested in internship opportunities, please click here.