In-kind donations provide the basic necessities and personal care items that connect children with comfort and safety when their lives are surrounded by chaos. Thank you for your interest in making our shelter feel a little bit closer to home.
Donation Drop Off
Please contact us or call Jana Daisy, Community Activities Manager, at 515-282-9377 or contact us prior to dropping off in-kind donations at the shelter (918 SE 11th Street, Des Moines, IA 50309) or beginning a donation drive. Unscheduled drop-offs may be turned away.
Used Clothing Policy: Please note that we can no longer accept gently-used clothing due to space limitations.
Provide vital items for kids in shelter with the click of a button! The Amazon Wish Lists below include general agency needs, as well as special items needed for Art Therapy and books needed for our library. When you order off of these lists, you can even ship the items directly to the shelter.
Don't forget to make YESS your designated nonprofit for Amazon Smile and they will donate an additional 0.5% on every qualified purchase!
Below are the items we currently need for children living in shelter. Thank you for helping us ensure every child living under YESS' roof has the necessary items to feel safe and cared for.
- Ethnic hair care products (Cantu, Shea Moisture, ORS Olive Oil, etc.)
- AM/FM Radios (alarm clock radios work well)
- Chapstick or lip balm
- Laundry baskets
- Face wash
- Plastic storage totes with lids
- Craft supplies- card stock, google eyes, stickers, craft foam, acrylic paints, canvas board, jugs of glue, and more
- Oriental Trading gift cards
- New or gently used LEGO bricks & pieces
- Gift Certificates to local events/field trips (i.e. Adventureland, Science Center, I-Cubs)
- NEW girls underwear (youth & adult sizes)
- NEW sports bras (all sizes)
- NEW boys underwear, boxers, or boxer briefs (large boys' and adult sizes)
- NEW mens undershirts (adult sizes, especially L and XL)
- NEW athletic-style shorts or leggings (male and female, teen/adult sizes most needed
- Special one-time needs: Microsoft Surface Pro, vacuum cleaner, paddle drums, occupational therapy equipment (contact us for more info)
**please note- at this time the ONLY clothing donations YESS can accept are NEW t-shirts, sweatpants/lounge pants, and athletic shorts. Storage is incredibly limited and these items are most universal to all shapes and sizes.
Used Items We CANNOT Accept (due to space and safety limitations)
- Car seats
- Baby bottles, sippy cups, etc.
- Stuffed animals
- Toys (due to the incredible generosity of our community and the number of toy donations we have recently received, we are unable to accept gently used toys at this time)